The Department of Mechanical Engineering at SKIT was established in the year 2003 with an annual intake of 60 students in the B. Tech. program. Presently the department is running the B. Tech program with an intake of 180 students and M. Tech programs in Renewable Energy Technology and Production Engineering with intakes of 18 and 9 students respectively.
Department is also a recognized Ph. D. Research Center of RTU.
The B. Tech. program of the department has been accredited three times by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
Being the mother branch of all engineering courses, the branch of Mechanical Engineering incorporates valuable contributions for achieving solutions to the emerging challenges in industry and varied sectors of engineering education. The Department of Mechanical Engineering at SKIT has a potent realization of the fact and thus continuously sets in motion sincere efforts to bring in quality change in the related areas. These efforts have started yielding results as our students with the active support of the faculty have been successful in developing highly perceptive projects and professional careers.
- The Department has a team of highly qualified faculty members from reputed government colleges, IITs, NITs, etc.
- The laboratories of department are equipped with traditional machines as well as modern tools like 3-D Printer, CNC Machines, Robotic Arm, Computerized VCR Engines, Gas Analyzer, EGR System etc.
- A special feature of the department is e-Yantra: Embedded System and Robotics Laboratory in collaboration with IIT Bombay and MHRD under the National Mission on Education through ICT program, Government of India.
- Thermal Engineering, Production Engineering and Material Testing Laboratories have been modernized under AICTE -MODROB scheme.
- The department has active student section of American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Society for Automotive Engineers India (SAE-India), Renewable Energy Club and Robotics club where students can develop their interpersonal, professional and leadership skills.
- Special attention is being paid for developing positive attitude, leadership, group working and safety consciousness in the laboratories and workshops.
- Virtual Lab Nodal Centre has been established in collaboration with IIT Delhi (An initiative of MHRD under the National Mission on Education through ICT).
Laboratories are extensively modernized to broaden the scope of basic learning and setups are so developed that students can realize cases of their interest and implement experiments which are beyond curriculum.
- Basic Mechanical Engineering Lab
- Mechanical Workshop
- Material Testing Lab
- MATLAB Programming
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Production Engineering Lab
- Theory of Machines Lab
- Mechatronics Lab
- Heat Transfer Lab
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing System (CIMS) Lab
- Vibration Lab
- Thermal Engineering Lab
- Finite Element Methods (FEM) Lab
- Industrial Engineering & Quality Control Lab
- Metrology Lab
- CAM Lab
- Renewable Energy Lab
- e-Yantra Lab